Friday, August 21, 2015

Summer Challenge

 Finished my challenge piece in plenty of time for our stitchery guild meeting in September.  This is a picture I took of my hollyhocks which I printed onto fabric and did some hand and machine stitching on. My finishing techniques by trying to sew a quilt type border leave a lot to be desired but it's done!
Added the blue chevron stitches on my TAST owl.  So glad that Sharon is running Take A Stitch Tuesday again :D
Tried my hand at rust dyeing and used washers, nails, an old rusty horse bit and a long chain.  I spritzed it with vinegar water, put it in a plastic bag and let it rust for a day in the sun.  It certainly didn't take long at all to dye.
Here's another small piece that I rust dyed using washers and a bit of wire.  I forgot about it so after 3 days it was pretty black.  But I soaked it in salt water to stop the rusting process and rinsed and rinsed.  I'm rather happy how it turned out after all.
Very glad that these zucchini are all spoken for.  They've been very prolific as usual :)
I've never had such beautiful morning glories as this summer.  They seemed to like being planted along a row of bachelor buttons too.
Thank you for stopping by.  Have a glorious day and weekend :D

12 comments:

  1. Lovely stitching, and I love the rust dyed pieces.
    have a wonderful weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your challenge piece turned out great! Must say I envy you those zucchini - it's so hard to find the nice big ones here. When we had them in our garden we made all sorts of great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy visiting and seeing all the interesting projects you have going on. Love your Hollyhocks Challenge piece! Rusting with vinegar sounds a lot quicker than with rain outdoors...of which we have had none for a very long time. Beautiful Morning Glories! I love zucchini and all squash. Happy Summer Smiles Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  4. your summer challenge is lovely Jennie. Good to see you are doing tast again, I have signed up and hope to catch up this weekend! The rust dyeing is looking so good, wonder what plans you have for using the fabric. Your garden is looking beautiful, here the leaves are already changing and we have not had much of a summer at all yet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hollyhocks are stunning it is amazing how it changes with just that bit of green showing through. will try to remember the rust dye when the sun comes out again. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your challenge piece is awesome! At first glance I thought you had taking up painting on mirrors, which is something that has always fascinated me. Your challenge piece is even more intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your challenge piece is lovely. Your Tast Owl is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love the colour of Morning Glories. Nothing else is quite as vibrant. Your rust pieces are terrific and you've done a great job on the Hollyhocks. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your challenge piece is looking great Jeannette and I love the way the owl is coming along. The rusted pieces are brilliant - I must have a go at this sometime. We too have had a good display of morning glory this year. After years of trying to establish them in our hedges and flower borders they now seem to have taken over the veg patch!! Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have created a great challenge piece and your rust dying is brilliant. I always look forward to your unusual ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that rust-dyeing you did Jeanette - especially the second piece. There is some lovely texture to the fabric and the grey tones add depth and interest.
    Your challenge piece also came out wonderfully. Printing photos on fabric is something I've never tried, but what a wonderful way of preserving something special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Hollyhock Challenge piece is beautiful! Love the whole concept of printing the photo, then embellishing with stitching and beading. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate all of them!