Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Quad of Owls

 On a fun dyeing day with a few other ladies last summer I randomly dyed this small piece of white cotton cloth.  I took it out and decided to use it to make some artist trading cards.  There's the artist trading card group on stitchin' fingers that I'm a part of and the Embroiderer's Association of Canada is hosting an atc swap between all the stitchery guilds across Canada in March.  I finished the final one this aft, cut them out and put a backing on each one.
 With all the great stitches I learned doing TAST last year I wanted to incorporate some of the stitches I learned in making these owl atc's. 
 The wooden eyes on this owl were from an old necklace. My daughter liked this one the most.
 I free motion sewed the outline and then filled it in with hand stitching.
This is my favourite of the 4 and I have a strong inclination to keep it for myself.  Sometimes I find it's rather hard to part with some of the atc's I've made.  Or maybe I'll just make another one that's similar to trade.  Which one do you like the most?

15 comments:

  1. I see why you like the last one - great idea for the eyes and really well stitched. I'd go for the first one, though. I like the expression and sense of pondering. Really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are adorable Jenny, love them being pink and so girly not that I am a girly girl but girly owls yes plesse, there are going to b some happy people when these fly thrugh their letter boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All perfectly done !
    Have a great Sunday !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love these owls & the colours are superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all beautifully stitched but I think the 4th one eyes are super. Love him the best. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. These owls are all great, but the last one is my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, JPP, there are elements from each that I really like:
    #1- the eyes look like they're in hunting mode, very intense
    #2- the ear tufts, and the beak
    #3- the feathery look of the FM outline
    #4- the colouring and shape of the body
    But, all are quite adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all great so lovely to see so many tast stitches

    ReplyDelete
  9. what nice owls. I love the top right one. it is so realistic ! the fly stitch work perfectly to make the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so cute! I think I like the first one the most, or the forth. I'm not sure. On my to-do-list is a potholder with an applique owl on it. Must do that shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all wonderful - I think my favorite is the last one, I like the rich colors and the orange/red combination but I really like the stitching on his eyes! What a fun project :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The owls are adorable, Jenny. Could not say which one I like more! Like also the background fabric. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great use of your stitches Jenny. My fav has to be the first one, but I really like the eyes on the last one too. They are all really wonderful actually.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your little Owl ATCs are precious and what a great use of your stitches you learned. Lucky recipients will cherish these ATCs. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am loving every photo of your work. You have a wonderful style and so much expression! : )
    ~Monika in Saskatoon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate all of them!