I had the wonderful opportunity to attend a Stitch Extreme Combo workshop with Arlee Barr & Karin Millson. We eco dyed and practiced sewing samples adjusting the upper and lower tensions, using different thread thicknesses and adjusting out stitch lengths and widths. Here I laid out maple, oak, willow and dogwood leaves.
Rolled up on 2 wooden dowels which I then bound up tightly.
Arlee placed all of our bundles in the pot to gently "cook" for an hour.
The dogwood and oak came out with nice distinctive shapes, the maple and willow leaves were quite pale.
Onion skins snipped and laid out. I folded the other half of the cotton over, rolled it on the dowels, bundled it up and put it in the pot for an hour.
I was so surprised at how good a print the onion skins made! This will be a fun piece to stitch :)
I took a lot of notes and here are 2 cransebill leaves with loose tea sprinkled around it. Arlee gave us some madder root powder to use as well.
Cranesbill gives a very good print for eco dyeing and as you can see the madder root and loose tea give off good colour as well.
Here are a few of my sewing samples as we played with adjusting our top and bottom tensions on our sewing machines as well as experimenting with different kinds of threads and stitch widths and lengths.
While our bundles were eco dyeing Karin had us try all manner of different things most of which I did not know my sewing machine could even do!
More tea and madder root eco dyeing on silk using oak leaves.
One of my favourite peices - a rust dyed piece of cotton with raspberry leaves.
Karin and Arlee were an excellent team and we learned A LOT from them.
Taking a leaf image from one of my dyed pieces I tried to replicate it using some of the sewing techniques we learned.
Eco dyeing and using my sewing machine are definitely in my future.
Have a terrific week everyone :D