Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Running Stitch Circles

 In my previous post I mentioned that the stitchery guild program for this year is to explore embroidery stitches from around the world.  September was to explore the embroidery of India and I've added circles of running stitches around a buttonhole stitched washer.  For the centre I used a piece of paisley material I had.
 Along one of the sides I added this star shape and played with filling it with different stitches, ie:  stem, straight, chain, buttonhole and herringbone
 I liked the star design so I also put it along one of the other sides again experimenting with different thread colours and stitches ie:  chain, straight, buttonhole, stem and french knots.
 At the October meeting we were to explore the embroidery of Japan by stitching a shashiko design. We were each given this indigo blue cotton 12" x 12" piece of material to which we marked a grid and added circles using a white dress maker's pencil.  This is my finished and first shashiko embroidery.  I did not do the centres correctly but was not thinking of that while I was stitching.  A few of the circles are not perfectly round either. Next time :)
 I received a large bag of candy, gum and chocolate wrappers from a friend at the stitchery guild and I made this landscape fabric postcard using them. Thank you Carol!  I sent it to an International Mail Art Exhibition being held in Nov. and Dec.
 I backed it using a Sun chip bag someone else at the guild meeting gave me.  Thanks Shelley :)
 Also made a couple of wrapper landscape atc's
 backed with more of the Sun chip bag.
 While driving on a back road we came across this beautiful large Great Grey Owl perched on a fence post. 
Needless to say we were thrilled when he/she let us take some pictures before flying away.

Have a most delightful day everyone and thank you for stopping by :)

21 comments:

  1. I love your running stitches embroidery;colours and the patterns worked into it looks are lovely. And, many different textures on candy wrapper landscapes. Everything is beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have been productive!! I love embroidery stitching in my art quilts...but guess I just love hand stitching of any sort!!! Thanks for sharing your work with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stitching is great and I have to say that the owl is absolutely stunning! Lucky you to get pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Indian and Japanese stitch explorations are looking great. It is hard to plan the running sashiko stitches so they don't crash in the centre - a very crowded area!
    Your creativity is fascinating, turning those wrappers into art. You should send a few cards to the companies suggesting a recycle wrapper program.
    It must have felt very special to meet the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stitchings look lovely and very relaxing. I really like Sashiko and find it to be very Zen. Drawing your own grid and circles is very authentic. Fun and Fabulous ATCs using wrappers. My goodness what a stately OWL! How wonderful you got to enjoy his beauty. Creative Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your candy wrapper designs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Indian piece is looking so beautiful and I do love Sashiko very relaxing and very effective. I too like working with sweet wrappers - there are some beautiful coloured foils which work really well. Love your owl too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely example of Indian embroidery, like the paisley in the wrapped washer. Sashiko is one of those on to try one day list. Very creative with your sweet wrappers, the postcards look great. Well the owl certainly was posing for you what a great photo

    ReplyDelete
  9. your stitching is great and that the owl is absolutely stunning,,,, lovely picture.
    love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stitch explorations! I'm in awe at the candy wrappers landscapes... amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sitching is so inspiring, as if the use of packaging materials, and the owl.....just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the owl!!! Sorry!!
    Thought of you a few weeks back because I saw my first ever owl in the "wild".. it was perched on a lamp post and was looking at me driving along in my car :) I ended up driving past it 3 times, totally in awe :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aren't Sun Chips bags the ones that are supposed to biodegrade in 6 weeks? I don't know if you planned for something that "ephemeral," lol.

    I do love all your running stitches, though! Well done. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your running stitch work is great. I've been doing some too, with our Guild and just love the effect - and the versatility. The owl photos are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely work with your sweet wrappers, you come up with some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the exploration pieces are looking great. you have done a creative work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the photographs of that wonderful owl. In the card making world 'owls' are very in and I now have many stamps and dies of owls to use. Esp on ATC's.
    I admire what you did with the sweet papers.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to ask - may I please use your photo of the owl.
      xx

      Delete
  18. The photo of the owl took my breath away!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Candy wrapper landscape looks awesome! Both Indian and Japanese stitch exploration looks great.love the running stitch circles..you must have experienced a zen moment :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate all of them!